Former Director General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and ex minister of Information, Professor Dora Akunyili, has died according to a family source.
Dr. Akunyili died in an India Hospital where she has been receiving treatment for an undisclosed ailment. She was aged 59.
From Sahara Reporters
Dora Nkem Akunyili was born on July 14, 1954 in Makurdi, Benue State. She was the former Director General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and also the former (Dec 17, 2008 – Dec 15, 2010) Nigerian Minister of Information and Communications.
She was a renown pharmacist and governmental administrator. Her work in pharmacology, public health and human rights has helped her gain awards and recognition internationally.
She once ran for the senatorial chair for Anambra Central on the All Progressive Grand Alliance [APGA] platform in April, 2011, but she was defeated by Chris Ngige.
Awards received (Source: Wikipedia)
Some of the awards Prof. Akunyili has received are:
· Time Magazine Award 2006( "One of the eighteen heroes of our time")- Time Magazine Inc.
· Person of the Year 2005 Award - Silverbird Communications Ltd, Lagos, 05-01-2006
· Award of Excellence - Integrated World Services (IWS), Dec. 2005
· Award of Excellence - Advocacy for Democracy Dividends International, Lagos, 17-12-2005
· Meritorious Award 2005 - St. Michael’s Military Catholic Church, Apapa, Lagos, 04-12-2005
· African Virtuous and Entrepreneurial Women Merit Award 2005 - African Biographical Network, Dec. 2005
· Award for the Best Government Parastatal - National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), December 2005
· An Icon of Excellence Award - The African Cultural Institute and Zenith Bank Plc, 08-12-2005
· 2005 Grassroots Human Rights Campaigner Award London Based Human Rights Defense Organization. 08-12-2005
· Most Innovative Director Award Federal Government College, Ijanikin, Lagos. Oct. 2005.
· Integrity Award 2003 - Transparency International.